Here’s an idea: an opensource WordPress theme & plugin for Universities. The “UniKit” would instantly deliver best practices and frequently used features to WordPress. It’s like a Jetpack for Universities.
We could offer:
- Guaranteed accessibility of design and content.
- Edu-centered Blocks like faculty profiles, directories and SIS data
- Pattern Libraries to maintain brand standards
- Easy onboarding with .edu user authentication
- Campus-specific roles for different university stakeholder.
- A robust knowledgebase
- …What else?
Our features would be defined by a cohort of University staff and vendors. Copywriters, coders, designers, system admins, users, .. everyone would be needed to build this project.
To build it, I imagine we would:
- Build a team
- Define requirements
- Redefine Requirements
- … and so on…
This would be an Open Source project, so we would also probably need to raise money and/or get our bosses to commit hours. We can offer sponsorship and create slides for University Executives on how open source is cost beneficial.
What do you think? Should we move forward? I hope we can (I already bought the domain unikit.blog 😬).